Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Beaver's Neighbors

The beavers have been uncharacteristically quiet so last night I decided to try to get their attention. Their dam is built in such a way that if we ever need a relief valve, the far end on the dam is perfect. About a minute's worth of work will breech the dam and allow additional water to flow into the basin. More work would give more of a flow, but last night I just spent a minute to get nice flow of water moving across the barrier. In the past, even this amount of flow triggered a reaction from them.

I set out the trail camera to see how they would react. In the past, this action was met with an immediate reaction and I would find the dam repaired the next morning. When I checked this morning, nothing had been done. After checking the trail camera, I saw that at about 9:00 PM and midnight a beaver checked it out, but he did nothing.

Could it be that with the past three days of rain they are happy with the level of the pond? In actual fact, the level is higher than it has ever been in the past, even though the clearing of the culvert has resulted in a constant flow from the upper pond to the lower pond, with a corresponding rise in the lower pond level by at least a full foot!

So today, lacking beaver shots, we will take a look at a few things I saw going on around the pond yesterday.

3 comments:

  1. What trail camera did you pick?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janet. Here's a link to the camera I settled on. http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-Brown-Vision-Camera/dp/B004MC1WC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336857837&sr=8-1 It was a good price and the reviews were glowing. After a few day using it, I have to agree with the 5 star reviews. I also bought a 32Gig SD card. FYI - The pictures above were taken with a Canon S3, which only has 6 MP resolution compared to 8 MP on the trail cam.

    ReplyDelete