Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Beavers Made a Liar Out of Me!

I was concerned that our beaver population had been thinned considerably by predators, but boy was I wrong.  It seems as if there are a LEAST 7 beavers now living on the pond.

There is evidence of trees being harvested in a number of places.  There is a lot of activity on the far side of the pond where they have built ANOTHER lodge.  This one is probably in response to the rising level of the pond.  The other hot spot is in the area of the pond visible through the kitchen window of the clubhouse.  There is one tree that could be taken down as early as tonight.

With any luck, I will have some video of the event.  I set out the trail camera to capture the action during the night and will be checking it in the morning. Of course, Murphy's Law could kick in as it did two years ago when they were working on a tree at the beginning of the trail.

I had the camera in place for three days.  On the third day, at about 10:00 AM, I retrieved it with the intention of getting the shots I had collected over the three days.  It was obvious that the fourth day would be the day it was coming down.  I took the camera home, downloaded the pictures to the computer and returned to put the camera back in place, only to see that it had come down while I was downloading the pictures.

Right now, I have the camera set to take 60 seconds of video when motion triggers it. Then it will wait 10 seconds before more motion can trigger it again.  With my luck the tree will come down during that 10 seconds, or worse, the batteries will die and I will get nothing.  Only time will tell! 

No comments:

Post a Comment